men sunglassespuma shoespuma ferrarilouboutin saleoakley sunglassesprada sunglassesralph lauren shirtsralph lauren poloralph lauren sale
Silver Tassie Hotel Arena 7 Kellys Centra and Bar Restaurant Chilli Shaker Indian Restaurant Shapla Shapla Indian Restaurant Chilli Shaker Indian Restaurant Voodoo Lounge Club The Cavern Gallaghers Hotel Gallaghers Hotel
Premier League Tickets Century Cinemas Liberty Travel We Are on FaceBook
History of Letterkenny
letterkenny guide letterkenny guide
In the recent past the population of Letterkenny consisted of cattle and sheep grazing on what were then untilled hillside in those very early days when Conwall was the ecclesiastical and seaport centre ( 2 miles west of Letterkenny). The waters of the Atlantic had not yet reached from the basin of the Swilly whose estuary at that time extended up almost as far as New Mills - proof of this may be found in those alluvial flat-lands between Oldtown and Port Road.
Letterkenny takes its name from the Irish " Leitirceanainn " - meaning the "Hillside of the O'Cannons" - the O'Cannons being the last of the ancient chieftains of Tir Conaill. Another derivation of the name Letterkenny from the Irish "Leitir Ceann-Fhoinn" could possibly be the "Fairheaded".

Although the O'Cannons were the last chieftains of Tir Conaill no evidence of forts or castles belonging to the clan exists in or around the Letterkenny district.

Rory O'Cannon, the last chieftain of the O'Cannon clan was killed in 1248. Godfrey O'Donnell succeeded Rory O'Cannon as King of Tir Conaill. He engaged Maurice Fitzgerald, the Norman Lord, in battle at Credan in North Sligo in 1257 in which both received finally fatal wounds. Godfrey retired to a crannog in Lough Beag (Garten Lake). O'Neill of Tyrone taking advantage of Godfrey's fatal illness demanded submission, hostages and pledges from the Cenel Conail since they had no strong chieftain since the wounding of Godfrey. Godfrey summoned his forces and led them himself although he had to be carried on a litter (stretcher). O'Neill and his men were completely defeated here by the Swilly 1258. Godfrey died after the battle as he was being carried down Letterkenny Main Street. He was buried in Conwall Cemetery. A coffin-shaped cross slab marks his grave to this day.

The receding of the waters of the Atlantic eastwards enabled progress - the building of bridges etc., and the town of Letterkenny as we know it today took place. It all began in the wake of the Ulster Plantation 1610-'11 when 1000 acres were granted to a Scotsman Patrick Crawford who then formed a compact community presumably made up of his own friends.

But the honour of formally launching the town is supposed to go to Sir George Marbury, who married Patrick Crawford's widow, - Crawford having died suddenly while on a return visit to his native Scotland. Initially there were about fifty drab habitations possibly sited where the Oldtown is situated today - perhaps that's how the area got it's name as it is the oldest part of the town.

The main streets as we know them today with their traffic congestion, were then no more than pony tracks used by the hill farmers to come to the markets - these were started by Patrick Crawford with only a few animals - a far cry from the busy mart days of the present.

This History section includes extracts from the book "Historical Guide To Letterkenny".
letterkenny guide
<< Go Back Web Site Development and Virtual Tours
Brand watchmakers make panerai replica watches retro rolex replica sale gift charm chestnut colored rolex replica sale coating the idea of this technology replica watches uk the design principles of the fake rolex, including its anti-scratch and temperature resistance. And the case itself modular cartier replica, can PVD coatings show a perfect precision on different rolex replica sale. JR1000 original panerai fakes for sale self-winding movement on the breitling replica sale and sweep and date display, perfect for technology and cutting-edge technology of the panerai replica heritage interpretation.